Since we are taking a timeout for the Superbowl, I thought I’d take a look back at a Carnival table from the past. Even if you aren’t in New Orleans, you can create Carnival wherever you are!
More decorations to come! Thanks Susan for hosting:
Today’s Lagniappe: Slow Cooker Red Beans & Rice
Something warm and yummy to start the celebration.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage (or regular smoked sausage), cut into small pieces
- 2 cups dried red beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 quart water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Hot cooked rice (about 3 to 4 cups)
In a slow cooker, combine the onion, garlic and sausage. Stir in the beans and water and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat until the beans are tender, about 7 1/2 hours (on high it takes between 3 1/2 to 4 hours). Remove 1/4 cup of beans from slow cooker. Mash until smooth, then sir them stir back into slow cooker. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes on low or 15 minutes on high. Remove the beans from the cooker to a serving bowl. Serve over cooked rice and enjoy!