Yes, it is time again for Foodie Friday with Designs by Gollum!
Before I share a great recipe with you, I want to update you. As many of you have already read, I have joined an incredible group called Soldiers’ Angels. What is Soliders’ Angels?
Soldiers’ Angels is a volunteer-led 501(c)(3) non-profit organization providing aid and comfort to the men and women of the United States Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and their families. Founded by the mother of two American soldiers, we are an international, volunteer-led organization supporting America’s men and women in uniform. With over 30 different teams and projects, our nearly 200,000 volunteers assist veterans, wounded and deployed personnel and their families in a variety of unique and effective ways.
With the shootings at Fort Hood, the Soldiers’ Angels sprang into action. I’ll have to say, that is one of things you gotta love about them, they are women (and men) of action! So, what can you do?
SHOOTINGS AT FT. HOOD
Soldiers’ Angels is assessing the needs and with our founder currently residing in Texas, we will be standing by to offer physical and emotional support to our heroes and their families.
RIGHT NOW: Collecting encouraging cards and NEW stuffed animals for the families and children of the injured/killed. Please send cards and stuffed animals (and anything NEW that may brighten the life of a child) to:
4408 PanAm Expressway
San Antonio, TX 78218
Spread this information on your blog and keep checking back here for updates! Also, here is a link to Scott & White Hospital for more information about their needs there. Currently, they have an urgent need of all types of blood. All of my wonderful friends in Texas, you are the best, please help out!
After that, I think we could all use something chocolate to comfort us.
Brandy Alexander Cheesecake
* 18 sheets chocolate graham crackers
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
* 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temp
* 1 1/4 cups sugar
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch
* 4 large eggs
* 3 tablespoons brandy
* 3 tablespoons Creme de Cacao (or Kahlua)
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1/4 cup chocolate-covered coffee beans
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a food processor, pulse chocolate graham crackers until fine crumbs form.
3. Add sugar and butter-pulse to moisten.
4. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch spring-form pan.
6. In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth.
7. Add sugar and cornstarch.
8. Beat on medium speed until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
10. Add the Brandy and Creme de Cacao.
11. Beat until well incorporated and smooth.
12. Pour into chilled crust.
13. Bake for 60 minutes or until cheesecake is just set and center slightly jiggles.
14. Transfer to a wire rack-run a knife around the inside of pan.
15. Allow to cool completely at room temperature.
16. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
17. Center cheesecake on a serving plate, remove side of spring-form pan.
18. Whip the heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks are reached.
19. Garnish cheesecake with whipped cream, scatter chocolate covered espresso beans.
Enjoy this yummy dessert and keep all of the families and victims at Fort Hood in your prayers!
Today’s Lagniappe: White Russian
If you’ve got the Kahlua out, this is a great recipe for a dessert drink.
Vodka 1 1/2 oz
Kahlua 3/4 oz
Cream to top Preparation:
Pour the vodka and kahlua into an ice-filled rocks glass. Stir and top with cream. Serve