Yesterday’s lagniappe was a recipe for basil pesto. Why? Because my basil is growing beautifully and I need to do something with it!
So, I’ll make some pesto with it. But then what do you do with the pesto? Today’s Lagniappe will feature 3 different recipes using basil pesto!
Here is the recipe for the pesto from yesterday:
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
If using immediately, add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese.
If freezing, transfer to an air-tight container and drizzle remaining oil over the top. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and stir in cheese.
Do you make pesto? Is your recipe similar to the one above? What do you do with the pesto after you have made it?
Today’s Lagniappe: 3 Recipes with Basil Pesto
1. Melted Pesto Cheese Dip
3 ingredients and very easy!
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 lb. mozzarella cheese, fresh if possible
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Tomatoes and basil – a classic combination.
- 8 slices french bread
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1 (8 ounce) wedge Brie cheese
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
Spread each slice of bread with some pesto and top with cheese slices, cut to fit. Place in toaster oven and toast until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly. Top each slice with some cherry tomatoes and serve.To grill, place bread on grill over medium coals. Grill for 2-3 minutes until toasted. Turn, remove from grill, and top with pesto and cheese. Return to the grill and cover. Grill 2-4 minutes until bottom of bread is toasted and cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with cherry tomatoes and serve.
3. Pesto Pasta
Last but certainly not least!
- 1 lb. uncooked linguine pasta
- 12-oz. container refrigerated basil pesto
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese